Veggies, protein and a generous amount of coconut aminos are what makes this one-skillet “egg roll in a bowl” extra special – it is guaranteed to be love at first bite! So, when the craving for Paleo Chinese food rumbles in, know that this recipe goes from start to finish in just about half an hour. The ingredients are pure, basic and fresh, you’ll know exactly what goes in it and what you are missing out on: soy sauce, hoisin sauce and egg roll wrappers made with flour, and seed oils. Roll out with the old and in with the new!
Now is your chance to skip the tedious wrapping and frying of a traditional egg roll, and simply toss things into the skillet as they come. First the coconut oil, followed quickly by garlic, ginger and onion. Fry them well and toss with a wooden spoon until deliciously fragrant. Add a pound of ground pork, brown it thoroughly, then bring on the cabbage and coconut aminos. Coconut aminos are a wonderful substitute to soy sauce as it is made from the fermented sap of coconut trees, adding a slightly sweet, yet savory essence to the meal. Don’t have a bottle on hand? Go out and stock up before you create this dish!
If you are missing the egg (from the egg roll wrapper), simply boil or scramble a few, and add them to the dish. And if you enjoy the dangers of eating on the spicy side, take a spoonful of peppery sriracha sauce and apply it just before serving.
Egg Roll Skillet Recipe
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 5 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion; cook until soft and fragrant.
- Brown the pork in the same skillet with the ginger mixture, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the skillet and drizzle the coconut aminos. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir everything and cook until cabbage is soft.
- Add the shredded carrots and cook while stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.