Unadorned and undecorated, this Paleo spice cake may appear simplistic and unrefined, but we beg to differ. It is moist and delicately sweet, and it goes ever so well with your morning mug of coffee or tea. Unlike a carrot cake with hints of orange and summer, this spice cake invokes the spirit of autumn and winter with classic pumpkin spices. The cinnamon and maple syrup is an unforgettable combination.
Of course, you can buy canned pumpkin puree from the store, though if you only knew how easy it was to make at home, you would be right on it. Once you have found the perfect pie pumpkin, take it home, rinse it off and cut it in half for baking. Meanwhile, scoop out the pumpkin seeds and roast them for a salty treat. Place the pumpkin with the cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes until the flesh is softened, then scoop and blend the flesh in a food processor until smooth. Try this with butternut squash too!
For the moment, we’ll leave it up to your own imagination on how you wish to dress the cake. Perhaps with a dollop of coconut cream? Or a generous spoonful of cinnamon cream cheese frosting? As our minds drizzle on some extra cinnamon maple glaze, we cannot stop thinking of the possibilities… Creamy Paleo cashew frosting? The opportunities for spice cake success are endless.
Paleo Spice Cake Recipe
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. While doing so, whisking constantly.
- Once the batter is blended, pour it into a well-greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.