Chicken salads run free range from Chinese chicken salad all the way to spicy Mexican-style chicken salad and back to classic barbecue, all without the desire for more, or better. Who can resist a summery chicken salad with creamy Paleo ranch dressing? We can’t, and we don’t expect you will want to pass this recipe up either. Nothing could be more simple, or more classic, then what you are about to create.
To start, cook your chicken breasts however you like them best: grilled, fried, baked or boiled. If you have been preparing some staple dishes ahead of time, you may even have some slow cooker shredded chicken on hand, ready to thaw at a moment’s notice – perfect for when unexpected guests show up at your door around dinnertime. It may not happen often, but when it does, it feels great to be prepared. All you have to do now is wash, cut, chop and toss the chicken salad together. A head of lettuce, a handful of tomato wedges, half a sliced onion, and a homemade vinaigrette will pull it together in a matter of minutes.
If you have a little extra time on your hands, and you are searching for a low-carb accompaniment, let us be the first to suggest a side of oven-roasted garlic cabbage to go along with your chicken salad. It may just be the unexpected thing you have been expecting all along.
Simple Paleo Chicken Salad Recipe
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 large head butter lettuce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 3 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 pinches dried thyme
- 2 pinches dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, and onion in a bowl.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, simply whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and mustard. Add the thyme and oregano, then season to taste.
- Serve the salad with the vinaigrette right before eating.