Simply delicious. That is exactly what this recipe is – a stew of the finest proportions. First of all, it cooks all on its own, saving you tremendous time in the kitchen. Secondly, the end result is pull-apart fantastic pork, especially nice when served over zucchini noodles, a baked sweet potato or with a side of grain-free garlic bread. Ragù has been around since the 18th century, and it seems we have been loving it ever since. Only we have modernly, Paleo-ized it, and omitted the cream and the gluten noodles. If we could send our new version back two hundred years in the past, we wonder what they would think?
The secret to slow cooking meat for the finest flavor possible is to sear the pork loin on all sides before adding it to the slow cooker. You can skip this step if you are short on time, though we encourage you to try it just once and see whether or not it makes a difference. Then you can decide how to proceed with your next meal of slow-cooker balsamic roast beef; to sear or not to sear, that is the question. Of course, a good cut of pork loin works to your favor too, try to find free-range pork if and where you can, the meat will be delicious and succulent, full of Omega-3s.
Serve this ragu with a side of steamed veggies or zoodles, mashed potatoes or the like. It is a heartwarming bowl of pure goodness.
Slow Cooker Pork Ragu Recipe
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 1/2 lb. boneless pork loin
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil to the skillet and allow it to heat up. While you wait, season the pork loin with salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme.
- Once the skillet is hot, sear all sides of the pork loin, approximately 3 minutes per side, just until golden brown.
- Place the pork loin in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with tomatoes, chicken stock, onions, carrots, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, and additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for approximately half the time.
- Once cooked, use two forks to pull the meat, so that it is shredded. Serve atop a potato mash or veggie noodles.