Think quick. What is the first dish that comes to mind when imagining an overabundance of zucchini? Paleo zucchini bread? With cocoa nibs or chocolate chips? Well, that’s one line of thought, but it only uses one cup or more of shredded zucchini, which is not a lot in the grand scheme of a bumper crop of summer squash. Now, imagine an appetizing zucchini soup to start the summer off right. Add in some baked rounds of crispy sweet potatoes and you have yourself a proper lunch to share with friends!
You may be surprised to find out that zucchini is technically a fruit, and yet for a “fruit soup” it combines amazingly well with chicken stock, nutmeg and coconut milk. The humble zucchini also happens to be very high in fiber and water, making it a wonderful plant to keep your digestive system running smoothly. If you forgo the sweet potato scoops, the zucchini will also help to lower blood sugar levels when you stick to a low carb diet. More than that, zucchini is known to boost energy levels as it is a rich source of necessary B-vitamins which reduce fatigue and elevate our mood.
We have all felt the nourishment of warming winter soups, now experience the bountiful health associated with healing summer soups. They taste great and do a body good. For added therapeutic benefits, grate a little ginger on top before serving, or stir in a dash of turmeric.
Zucchini Soup With Sweet Potato Scoops Recipe
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 zucchinis, grated
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. mint, finely chopped
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Sweet Potato Scoop Ingredients
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lime, wedged
- Allow the grated zucchini to drain any excess water for approximately 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the ghee and sauté the onions. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add the stock and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini, nutmeg, and mint and allow to simmer for about 8 minutes. Then add the coconut milk with lemon juice. Continue to cook for 5 minutes longer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree if desired.
- For sweet potato scoops: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/8” thick pieces.
- In a bowl, toss the potatoes in olive oil until evenly coated.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with lime prior to serving.