When it comes time to break out the cookie cutters, what will you choose? Trees, stars, simple circles or full moons? Dreaming further beyond your personal stamp, you’ll need to find the right dough to suit your cookie needs. You do need cookies, right? Of course, you do! And we promise that these 5-ingredient coconut flour shortbread cookies (+ 1 optional ingredient) will not let you down.
They should be not too dry, and not too crumbly. Golden. Crispy. Grain-free. Chocolatey. Is that so much to ask for in a Paleo cookie? Perhaps it is, though we’ve come up with a plan, and we will be baking them all holiday season long. Though they may do well for our digestion in the summer months if we skip the chocolate and add a hint of lemon zest to freshen things up. Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, we are asking you to make these Paleo shortbread cookies right now, as is, and to devour every moreish bite. So, break out those dark chocolate chips, set them on a double boiler and get ready to decorate – but not before you bake the cookies!
Take the time to get ahead with making other winter treats too. Dark chocolate almond bark, for starters. Keto chocolate almond butter fat bombs for the low-carb crowd. Chocolate hazelnut balls for everybody, and dark chocolate-drizzled shortbreads made from almond flour, just in case you prefer nuts over coconut.
Paleo Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3/4 -1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. ghee, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, start with 3/4 cup flour and add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms. If the dough is too wet, add in additional coconut flour a little at a time.
- Roll dough out in between two parchment paper sheets until 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick. You’ll want them a good thickness so they cookies aren’t fragile.
- Cut out cookies using cookie cutter of choice.
- Transfer cutouts to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet using a spatula.
- Re-roll any remaining dough to cut out more cookies. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until edges turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on wire rack.
- If using chocolate, microwave in 10-second intervals on 50% power, stirring in-between, until fully melted.
- Drizzle chocolate over cookies using a piping bag. If you want to dip the cookies, just melt enough chocolate.
- Let chocolate harden before serving.